Text Size

Inside the Chuch

The Font is of Thessaly marble and is surrounded by a high oak cover on which is carved figures of eight saints, the four Evangelists, together with St. Stephen, St. John the Baptist, St. George and St. Lawrence.
The tower contains one of the finest sets of eight bells in the country, cast by John Taylor & Co. of Loughborough. Hanging over the baptistery is all that remains of a Grosvenor Memorial dated 1624 from the old Church. Beneath it there rested the recumbent figure of Sir Richard and one of his three wives surrounded by 24 of the children his ‘virtuous wives’ bore him. During the Civil War, when Parliamentary forces besieging Chester occupied Eccleston, the figures were badly damaged, and when the Church was taken down in 1807, only this fragment was retained. The stained glass throughout the Church is the work of Burlison and Grylls. In the North aisle the windows portray the Prophets, Priests, Kings and Martyrs of the Faith; whilst in the South aisle they depict the Saints and symbols of the four nations of the United Kingdom. In the Clerestory a Chorus Angelorum holds a continuous scroll inscribed with the Magnificat beneath them. The coat of arms remember families connected with the Grosvenors. The beautifully carved stonework and the bosses in the roof can best be studied when the hidden lighting is used. Picture The Grosvenor chapel has three carved figures above the altar. In the centre Our Lord, and on either side the first Archbishops of Canterbury and York, St. Augustine and St. Paulinus. Here are the memorials to five Dukes of Westminster. Above the tomb and canopy of the First Duke, carved in alabaster and designed by Bodley, hangs his garter banner. Opposite is a bronze bust, by Gilbert Ledward, of the second Duke. ‘Bend Or’, the memorial to Gerald, Forth Duke, was designed by his brother, Robert, Fifth Duke who died in 1979.

There is a fine bronze relief-memorial to Captain Hugh William Grosvenor, who was killed in the First World War. The Organ, built by Grey and Davidson, was originally placed high over the tower arch but is now more usefully situated at the end of the North aisle. Both the pulpit steps and floor are of marble from the ancient quarries in Thessaly, but the pulpit and intricate screen are carved from the finest English oak. The superbly carved and gilded reredos, by Farmers & Brindley, depicts the Crucifixion and Passion, while the window above has five scenes from the life of the Virgin. In the centre light is St. Michael, and above, Our Lord in Majesty. In the side lights are the Apostles, Peter and Paul; the Prophets, Moses and David and the Martyrs, Stephen and Alban. To complete the Te Deum Laudamus, and representing the Holy Church, are two Saints with local connections, Anselm and Werburgh.

 

 

Eccleston Village Hall

The Village Hall is available for hire for Family Celebrations, Children’s Parties and Wedding Receptions. Enquiries from Clubs and Groups are welcome.

Read more..

Brain Rehabilitation

Since 2008 the registered charity The Brain Rehabilitation and Development Centre has been based in The Old Coach House at Eccleston

Read more..

Village Hall Bookings

No events